- Dixie National Forest encompasses 1.8 million acres of public land.
- The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument encompasses 1.9 million acres of public land.
- Kodachrome Basin State Park was named by a National Geographic Expedition in the late 1940’s
- Escalante was settled in 1876 by Mormon Pioneers looking for a milder climate and longer growing season.
- Construction of the Hell’s Backbone Road was completed in 1933.
- The Hole-in-the-Rock Road closely follows the route taken by Mormon Pioneers in 1879-80 in an attempt to establish a route to the four corners area.
- There are three Utah State Parks on Scenic Byway 12.
- The Red Canyon Beardtounge (Penstemon bracteatus) is a flowering plant found only in Red Canyon?
- Torrey Town was settled in the 1880′s and named for Colonel Jay Torrey, one of Theodore Roosevelt’s Rough Riders.
- Bryce Canyon’s night skies are among the darkest in the Southwest.
- In most rural areas of the United States, 2500 stars can be seen on a clear night. At Bryce Canyon, 7500 stars can be seen twinkling in the void!
Did you Know?
Scenic Byway 12 Route Guide
click here >
Along the Byway
Aug 5, 2014
Tour of Utah – Tour of Utah is a multi-stage bicycle race that will directly impact the pace of travel on Scenic Byway 12 (Utah SR12) on August 5, 2014. If you are traveling on Scenic Byway 12 on August 5th you can find traveler impacts information online at: http://www.scenicbyway12.com/community/news-releases/ and at: http://www.scenicbyway12.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Advisory-Stage-2-Traffic-Impacts-English.pdf
Sep 26, 2014
Escalante Canyon Working Arts Festival – September 26 - 27, 2014 – September 26 & 27, 2014 in Escalante, Utah. Plein Air Competition: Friday, September 19 to Thursday, September 25, 2014 Food, arts & crafts, vendors and live music all day. Highlights include silent art auction and speakers series.
Oct 11, 2014
3d Annual Escalante Canyons Marathon and Head of the Rocks 10 miler – THE MARATHON- starts near Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder, Utah. The entire course is on Scenic Byway 12. THE 10-MILER- Begins at the Head of the Rocks scenic outlook and finishes in Escalante.