- Dixie National Forest encompasses 1.8 million acres of public land.
- The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument encompasses 1.9 million acres of public land.
- Kodachrome Basin State Park was named by a National Geographic Expedition in the late 1940’s
- Escalante was settled in 1876 by Mormon Pioneers looking for a milder climate and longer growing season.
- Construction of the Hell’s Backbone Road was completed in 1933.
- The Hole-in-the-Rock Road closely follows the route taken by Mormon Pioneers in 1879-80 in an attempt to establish a route to the four corners area.
- There are three Utah State Parks on Scenic Byway 12.
- The Red Canyon Beardtounge (Penstemon bracteatus) is a flowering plant found only in Red Canyon?
- Torrey Town was settled in the 1880′s and named for Colonel Jay Torrey, one of Theodore Roosevelt’s Rough Riders.
- Bryce Canyon’s night skies are among the darkest in the Southwest.
- In most rural areas of the United States, 2500 stars can be seen on a clear night. At Bryce Canyon, 7500 stars can be seen twinkling in the void!
Did you Know?
Scenic Byway 12 Route Guide
click here >
Along the Byway
May 1, 2014
Please Complete the Scenic Byway 12 Visitor Survey – Follow the link to answer 12 questions that will help our communities improve services to byway travelers. Thank you!
Jun 27, 2014
Panguitch Valley Balloon Rally – Hot Air Balloon Festival June 27 - 29, 2014 – Join us for our 2014 festival June 27-29 in Panguitch, Utah and bring your whole family! This event truly has something fun for everyone.
Jul 12, 2014
Bryce Canyon Half-Marathon and 5K Run/Walk – July 12, 2014 – Half Marathon: 6:00A.M. - Starts at Ruby's Inn, Bryce - Ends in Cannonville Park. The 1/2 Marathon starts on Hwy 63, Bryce. Start elev. 7,652 ft - Finish at 5,800 ft. 5K Run/Walk: 6:30A.M. - 5K Run/Walk in Cannonville. If you're not interested in competing for cash, or would simply rather endure a shorter distance, start at 6:30 AM in Cannonville for the 5K Run/Walk. The 5K is an out and back in Cannonville on the road to Kodachrome State Park.
Sep 26, 2014
Escalante Canyon Working Arts Festival – September 26 - 27, 2014 – September 26 & 27, 2014 in Escalante, Utah. Plein Air Competition: Friday, September 19 to Thursday, September 25, 2014 Food, arts & crafts, vendors and live music all day. Highlights include silent art auction and speakers series.