- Dixie National Forest encompasses 1.8 million acres of public land.
- The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument encompasses 1.9 million acres of public land.
- Kodachrome Basin State Park was named by a National Geographic Expedition in the late 1940’s
- Escalante was settled in 1876 by Mormon Pioneers looking for a milder climate and longer growing season.
- Construction of the Hell’s Backbone Road was completed in 1933.
- The Hole-in-the-Rock Road closely follows the route taken by Mormon Pioneers in 1879-80 in an attempt to establish a route to the four corners area.
- There are three Utah State Parks on Scenic Byway 12.
- The Red Canyon Beardtounge (Penstemon bracteatus) is a flowering plant found only in Red Canyon?
- Torrey Town was settled in the 1880′s and named for Colonel Jay Torrey, one of Theodore Roosevelt’s Rough Riders.
- Bryce Canyon’s night skies are among the darkest in the Southwest.
- In most rural areas of the United States, 2500 stars can be seen on a clear night. At Bryce Canyon, 7500 stars can be seen twinkling in the void!
Did you Know?
Scenic Byway 12 Route Guide
click here >
Along the Byway
Jun 6, 2013
Quilt Walk Festival – June 6 - 8, 2013 in Panguitch. – In 1863 the first group of the pioneers came to Panguitch from Parowan under the leadership of Jens Neilson. They followed the route over the rugged Bear Valley, part of the Spanish Trail. Come celebrate the pioneer spirit of Panguitch! Enjoy quilting classes a Chocolate festival, tractor parade, the Main Street Dinner theater play depicting the story of the quilt walk, trunk show, art show and much much more. Exact schedule to come at a later date.
Jun 28, 2013
Panguitch Valley Balloon Rally – Hot Air Balloon Festival June 22 – 24, 2012 – Come join us and be a part of the fun at the 12th annual Rally. Southern Utah's premier hot air balloon event!
Jul 12, 2013
Jul 13, 2013
Bryce Canyon Half-Marathon and 5K Run/Walk – July 13, 2013 – Half Marathon: 6:00A.M. - Starts at Ruby's Inn, Bryce - Ends in Cannonville Park. The 1/2 Marathon starts on Hwy 63, Bryce. Start elev. 7,652 ft - Finish at 5,800 ft. 5K Run/Walk: 6:30A.M. - 5K Run/Walk in Cannonville. If you're not interested in competing for cash, or would simply rather endure a shorter distance, start at 6:30 AM in Cannonville for the 5K Run/Walk. The 5K is an out and back in Cannonville on the road to Kodachrome State Park.