- Dixie National Forest encompasses 1.8 million acres of public land.
- The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument encompasses 1.9 million acres of public land.
- Kodachrome Basin State Park was named by a National Geographic Expedition in the late 1940’s
- Escalante was settled in 1876 by Mormon Pioneers looking for a milder climate and longer growing season.
- Construction of the Hell’s Backbone Road was completed in 1933.
- The Hole-in-the-Rock Road closely follows the route taken by Mormon Pioneers in 1879-80 in an attempt to establish a route to the four corners area.
- There are three Utah State Parks on Scenic Byway 12.
- The Red Canyon Beardtounge (Penstemon bracteatus) is a flowering plant found only in Red Canyon?
- Torrey Town was settled in the 1880’s and named for Colonel Jay Torrey, one of Theodore Roosevelt’s Rough Riders.
- Bryce Canyon’s night skies are among the darkest in the Southwest.
- In most rural areas of the United States, 2500 stars can be seen on a clear night. At Bryce Canyon, 7500 stars can be seen twinkling in the void!
Did you Know?
Scenic Byway 12 Route Guide
click here >
Make a donation to the SB12 Foundation
Along the Byway
August 2, 2016
Tour of Utah is a multi-stage bicycle race that will directly impact the pace of travel on Scenic Byway 12 (Utah SR12) on Tuesday August 2, 2016 from Escalante to Torrey.
If you are traveling on Scenic Byway 12 on August 2nd look for travel restriction information at https://www.tourofutah.com/
August 23, 2016
Join us August 23 through 27, 2016 and ride some of the most beautiful trails you will ever see.
Take a guided tour or grab a map and head out on your own. Either way you will experience scenery and trails like you have never seen before. Garfield County trails border Bryce Canyon National Park and is home to Casto Canyon, one of the top ten most scenic trails in the U.S.
Join us in the evening for the ATV Rodeo. Enter and compete yourself or just cheer on friends, which you are sure to make a few new ones.
There will also be great deals from our Vendors and Sponsors, Food, Entertainment, and more for the entire family to enjoy. Poker Run will be held on Saturday with cash and prizes!!
August 25, 2016
National Park Service’s 100th Birthday
August 27, 2016
The race begins at 9:00 am and is one of Utah’s most scenic races. 5 mile trail run/walk overlooks Bryce Canyon and winds through forests of ponderosa pine. The Course is gently rolling with an elevation of approx. 7,600 ft.