- Dixie National Forest encompasses 1.8 million acres of public land.
- The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument encompasses 1.9 million acres of public land.
- Kodachrome Basin State Park was named by a National Geographic Expedition in the late 1940’s
- Escalante was settled in 1876 by Mormon Pioneers looking for a milder climate and longer growing season.
- Construction of the Hell’s Backbone Road was completed in 1933.
- The Hole-in-the-Rock Road closely follows the route taken by Mormon Pioneers in 1879-80 in an attempt to establish a route to the four corners area.
- There are three Utah State Parks on Scenic Byway 12.
- The Red Canyon Beardtounge (Penstemon bracteatus) is a flowering plant found only in Red Canyon?
- Torrey Town was settled in the 1880’s and named for Colonel Jay Torrey, one of Theodore Roosevelt’s Rough Riders.
- Bryce Canyon’s night skies are among the darkest in the Southwest.
- In most rural areas of the United States, 2500 stars can be seen on a clear night. At Bryce Canyon, 7500 stars can be seen twinkling in the void!
Did you Know?
Scenic Byway 12 Route Guide
click here >
Make a donation to the SB12 Foundation
Along the Byway
July 8, 2017
Half Marathon: 6:00A.M. - Starts at Ruby's Inn, Bryce - Ends in Cannonville Park. The 1/2 Marathon starts on Hwy 63, Bryce. Start elev. 7,652 ft - Finish at 5,800 ft.
5K Run/Walk: 6:30A.M. - 5K Run/Walk in Cannonville. The 5K is an out and back in Cannonville on the road to Kodachrome State Park.
July 14, 2017
Bryce Canyon's 8th annual GeoFest is scheduled for Thursday July 14 and 15, 2017. Join park rangers for guided hikes, family-friendly geology programs, bus tours with a geologist, evening programs with special guest speakers, as well as exhibits and family oriented activities at the visitor center.
September 29, 2017
September 29 & 30, 2017 in Escalante, Utah.
Plein Air Competition: Friday, September 22 to Thursday, September 27, 2017
Food, arts & crafts, vendors and live music all day. Highlights include silent art auction and speakers series.